Physical and Health Education (PHE) is a performance based course therefore attendance is mandatory.
It is expected that students taking part in Physical and Health Education at Alpha will:
- Participate in each activity to the best of their ability
- Conduct themselves in a positive, respectful and safe manner
- Assume an ongoing responsibility for their performance in the course
appropriate PHE strip at all times. Students should bring a change of clothes
that are breathable and afford students a full range of movement for physical
activities. ie. No jeans or jeggings.
- Please be aware that the gym facility is a scent-free zone. Please avoid the use of axe or perfume in change rooms.
- Arrive to class on time and remain in class until dismissed. Teachers allow 5 minutes to change at the start and end of class. This provides students with ample time to arrive to class on time and in PHE gym-strip.
- Provide an explanatory note from a parent/doctor for absences or medical restrictions
- Cell phones are not permitted in class. Leave all valuables in a locked/secure location.
- Bring a water bottle to ensure hydration
- Facility and Equipment Rules
- Students are expected to use the equipment in a safe and sensible manner at all times
- Please do not bring food or drink in to the gym (except water)
- Please refrain from chewing gum in the gym; it is a choking hazard
- Students are not permitted in the equipment room unless supervised by a teacher
- Students are not permitted in the gyms or weight room without supervision
- Students are expected to treat the change rooms with respect. Please use appropriate language and be aware of other classrooms in the building.
- Please do not climb or sit on the bleachers when the bleachers are closed
- Please avoid running up the walls and hanging on the basketball hoops as it is a safety concern
- Please enter the gym from the main doors to avoid tracking in outside mud and dirt
Students will participate in nine units throughout the course. Each unit will deal with a different activity. These units may include: rugby/soccer, football/ultimate, volleyball, basketball, handball, dance, gymnastics, track and field, active health and badminton. Each unit will introduce the sport, develop fundamental movement patters and skills required to be successful in the activity with the goal of becoming more confident and proficient in the sport. The core competencies of Physical and Health Education are:
- Physical Literacy
- Grades 8 – 9’s – PHE Report Card Rubric for breakdown of assessment
- Grades 10 – 12’s – 15% will be assigned to each term
- Weight Training – 15% will be assigned to each term
- Fitness Friday
- Personal and Social Responsibility
Daily evaluation, written assignments and a combination of teacher-assessment and self-assessment will provide continual feedback to students about their performance in the course.
Students who need to be excused from class for a short period of time should bring a note from their parent(s) or guardian(s). These students should arrive with their PHE gym-strip and be prepared to try to participate to the best of their ability.
Students who need to be excused from class for a longer period of time (more than 3 classes) must bring a medical form from their doctor. Depending on the condition, alternate assignments will be provided.
Students who have an on-going medical problem and require an adaptation to the regular PHE program must bring a doctor’s note, maintain regular communication with the teacher and will receive alternate activities and assignments as required.
- General Information
- Students are responsible for the security of their personal property. Please leave cell phones, Ipods, jewellery and wallets in a locker or secure location.
- Classes begin with a warm up and participation in these activities is mandatory.
- Field Trip activities are available to students in grades 8-12. Separate information sheets and field trip forms will be provided.
- Further information and questions can be directed to your PHE teacher
Physical and Health Education should be a fun and rewarding experience. Please bring a positive and cooperative attitude to class. Do your best and you will succeed! We look forward to having a fun and exciting year!